Cooperation in cultural sphere between Ukraine and Cyprus is based on an Agreement between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Cyprus on Cooperation in the Field of Culture, dated 25.06.2010, which allows to develop the cooperation between musical, theatrical and other arts institutions and associations in the field of culture and arts, and also provides for the participation of representatives of both countries in international competitions, festivals, conferences, symposiums and seminars, and the conduction of joint cultural events, arts and books exhibitions, festivals arts, contests, etc.
During 2020, a number of cultural and artistic events were organized aiming at promotion of Ukraine and popularization of Ukrainian culture, language, history and traditions of the Ukrainian people.
It is important to mention the humanitarian cooperation with the Republic of Cyprus. The Cypriot Side actively providing rehabilitation in Cyprus of Ukrainian orphans and children from displaced families and affected by the hostilities in the East of Ukraine.
The intensification of the bilateral dialogue in the field of education and science had been facilitated by visit of the President of the Republic of Cyprus Mr. Nicos Anastasiades to Ukraine on December 11, 2015. The Agreement between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Cyprus on cooperation in the field of higher education was signed.
The important component of Ukrainian-Cypriot cooperation in this area is the cooperation between higher education institutions of two countries, which is developing and expanding successfully on the basis of the following bilateral documents:
- Memorandum for cooperation between Odessa State Economic University and the College of Tourism and Hotel Management of the Republic of Cyprus (May 4, 2007);
- Memorandum for cooperation between the Mariupol State University of Humanities and the College of Tourism and Hotel Management of the Republic of Cyprus (July 5, 2007);
- Memorandum for cooperation between Odessa National Economics University and the University of Cyprus (August 28, 2008);
- Memorandum for cooperation between Odessa I.Mechnikov National University and the University of Cyprus (February 17, 2009);
- Memorandum for cooperation between Mariupol State University of Humanities and the University of Nicosia (April 12, 2010);
- Memorandum on cooperation between National University "Odessa Law Academy" and the University of Nicosia (November 25, 2010);
- Memorandum for cooperation between Odessa I.Mechnikov National University and the University of Nicosia (February 15, 2011);
- Memorandum of understanding on academic cooperation between the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University and European University of Cyprus (June 6, 2012);
- Memorandum of understanding between Donetsk National Technical University and the Cyprus Institute (November 8, 2012);
- Memorandum of understanding between Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and the University of Nicosia (October 17, 2013);
- Agreement on cooperation between Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv and the University of Nicosia (January 22, 2014);
- Memorandum on cooperation between the National Pedagogical Dragomanov University and the European University Cyprus, Nicosia (May 26, 2017);
- Memorandum of understanding for Academic Collaboration between the Odesa National Polytechnic University and the European University Cyprus in Nicosia (January 07, 2020);
- Memorandum of understanding on cooperation between Hennadii Udovenko Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and School of Law of the University of Nicosia (February 4, 2020)
- Memorandum of understanding between the National University "Odessa Marine Academy" and the Cyprus Marine and Maritime Institute (February 1, 2021) .
The cooperation in the field of sports is regulated by the Agreement between the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine and the Cyprus Sports Organization on cooperation in the field of physical culture and sports of November 08, 2012, which allows to develop the cooperation at the level of state sports administrations, national federations of sports, and professional sports clubs. Among the perspective directions for cooperation in this area is the exchange of experience, scientific and methodological information; use of sports facilities, production of sport inventory and equipment for the preparation for widespread competitions; exchange of experience of physical culture for people with disabilities, etc.
Ukrainian community in Cyprus
The Ukrainian community in the Republic of Cyprus has been estimated approximately to 4 thousand people.
Ukrainians of Cyprus are supporting the efforts to combat foreign Russian aggression against Ukraine and organize various actions and events for support as well as constantly provide humanitarian aid for the peoples who suffered from the results of the aggression in the East of Ukraine, like internally displaced people from Donbas and Crimea, as well as orphans and families in need.
On March 23, 2017 under the law of the Republic of Cyprus the official Association of Ukrainians in Cyprus "Society of Ukrainian-Cypriots friendship" was established. As of today, the Society is the first and only organization of Ukrainians in Cyprus officially registered at the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus.
The activities of the Association are aimed at popularizing in Cyprus of the Ukrainian culture, history, and traditions, promoting the positive image of our state, developing the political, spiritual and social life of Ukrainians living in Cyprus, strengthening contacts between Ukraine and Cyprus in the spirit of friendship and solidarity.